Table of Contents
Finding the right litter box for your cat can be a challenge. Some cats are so messy!
When I first got cats, the number of times I found litter scattered all across the floor is uncountable. So, I put in some solid research and went on a quest to find the best litter boxes with minimal mess.
From my findings and years of trial and error, I found that top entry litter boxes are great. They completely solve the issue of overflowing litter and come at a very affordable price.
Unfortunately, top entry litter boxes are not all the same. Some are great, whereas others don’t work quite as they should. If you have a large cat like I do, it is a whole new ball game. You need a litter box that is big enough for your cat to do their business in peace.
My Top Pick
Based on my personal experience, the best top entry litter box for large cats is the Sfozstra Cat Litter Box. This litter box eliminates odors, has a handy mat to prevent litter particles being trodden around the house, and is super easy to clean. It also comes in neutral colors and fits perfectly into my home. Not to mention, the box is big enough for my Maine Coon mix to comfortably do her business!
So, with all things considered and with an extra thought for those big pussy cats, here we have the 8 best top entry litter box for large cats.
Best Top Entry Litter Boxes for Large Cats
Deciding what was important when searching for the best top entry cat litter boxes was easy. I wanted a litter box that solved all the problems I had experienced from using different litter trays over the years.
Here is what I considered when searching for the best top entry litter box for our larger feline friends:
- Large in size: Having got a pretty large Maine Coon mix myself, I needed to find a litter box that had a large enough entry hole and a big enough tray for her to use comfortably.
- Odor elimination: One of the reasons I wanted a top entry litter tray was to try to contain the smells inside, so how well each box did this was important.
- Minimum mess: I want a litter box that creates the minimum mess possible to keep my house clean.
- Ease of cleaning: Top entry litter boxes can be a pain to clean, so I wanted one that made cleaning it as easy as possible.
- Aesthetics: For me, I want a litter box that was neutral in color and that blended into my home.
1. Sfozstra Cat Litter Box (Best All-Rounder)
It is completely enclosed so that no nasty odors escape into my home and there are no spillages over the side. The little holes in the lid help remove litter particles from your cat’s feet so they don’t tread mess around your home. While my cat likes to jump straight onto the floor and avoids the mat, it is still somewhat successful in eliminating mess. Finding a litter tray that doesn’t make a nasty mess or smell gets a nod of approval from me.
This litter pan is also fantastic for larger kitties as it has a huge hole in the top. This means bigger cats don’t need to uncomfortably squeeze through tiny entrances – they have plenty of space to get in and out the tray with ease. The tray itself is also jumbo-size so your cat can move around to find the perfect spot comfortably.
In addition to this, the window on the front also gives your kitty some light when they’re doing their business so that they don’t feel claustrophobic, while still hiding soiled litter from view. With this litter tray, cleaning is also an easy job as the lid lifts completely. The neutral colors and sleek design also means it can work well in any home.
The only main problem I have with this litter tray is that the scoop is too flimsy, so I’d recommend buying a separate one.
- Reduces and eliminates smells and mess
- Large entry hole and pan for bigger cats
- Easy to clean with a removable lid
- Sleek design and neutral colors
- Flimsy scoop so better buying a separate one
- Anti-litter tracking lid is only partially effective
2. PetSafe Scoop Free Ultra Automatic Self Cleaning Hooded Cat Litter Box (Self-cleaning)
This one had to make the list as it is the most advanced litter tray I have ever used. In terms of smell and cleaning, this litter box makes it a dream. Here’s why: this top entry litter box is self-cleaning!
You load litter into the tray and then a sensor on the hooded litter box lets it know when your cat has been inside. The litter box then self-cleans 5, 10, or 20 minutes after your cat leaves the tray. You can leave the litter tray to do its thing for weeks, and when you want to put fresh litter in, simply dispose of the old tray with the lid provided and insert a new one.
Because of this super speedy cleanup, this litter box is amazing at eliminating odors. The litter used in the trays are also crystal litter, which is 5x better at controlling bad odors than your typical litter. It also leaves fewer particles on your kitty’s paws to stop them from treading remanence around your home.
Unfortunately, a fancy piece of kit like this doesn’t come cheap, but if you can afford it it is a worthwhile investment.
- Self-cleaning and can be left for weeks
- Crystal litter which is 5x better at eliminating smells
- 99% dust-free so no litter tracking
- Needs power to be functional
3. IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box (Bargain)
Taking the next spot on my list is the IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box which is an absolute bargain and still does a pretty good job at keeping smells and mess inside. The grooved lid helps with this by reducing litter tracking and removing most of the dust from your cat’s paws.
The design of this cat litter box is great. It is available in multiple colors so no matter what color scheme your home is, there will be a design to suit. The curved edges also look stylish while making cleaning 10-times easier – no more pesky bits of litter betting stuck in the corners.
As well as coming in multiple colors, the IRIS top entry litter box comes in two sizes. If you have a big cat then order the largest size and rest assured there is plenty of room inside for your cat to do their business. Coming with a pretty sturdy scoop than convenient hooks off the edge, this is one of the best litter boxes for large cats and at a great price.
- Stylish and comes in multiple colors
- Grooved lid to prevent litter tracking
- Bargain price
- Rounded corners make it easy to clean
- Not outstanding quality
- Lid is difficult to remove until you get used to the design
4. Modkat XL Litter Box (Top + Front Entry)
This litter box is great as it is a top entry litter box, but it can also be configured to a front opening box giving you one box, two ways! It is actually the only litter box on the market that can be configured both ways.
If you have not bought a top opening litter box before and are unsure whether your kitty will take to it, this box is the perfect solution. If it is not a fan of the top entrance, switch the design so that your cat can enter from the front.
Coming in the XL size, the Modkat XL Litter Box is made specifically for larger breeds and provides them plenty of space to go to the bathroom.
When it comes to cleaning, this design will make your life easy. The lid has a simple swivel mechanism so when cleaning the tray you can just swivel and scoop. You also get reusable liners with every purchase that are rip-resistant and very robust that are ideal for cats that love to dig and help with easy cleanup.
- Can be configured as a top entry or front entry litter box
- Swivel lid for easy cleaning
- XL size made with larger breeds in mind
- Stylish design
- Successfully keeps in mess and odors
- Have to purchase more liners once the initial ones start to wear
5. Frisco Open Top Cat Litter Box (Suitable for Older Cats)
If you want a bargain buy, the Frisco Open Top Cat Litter Box is a great choice. It is also the top entry litter box that is closest to a usual litter tray, making it a great option for cats that have not used top opening litter boxes before. You can test out whether your cat will take to top entry designs without spending a fortune.
Unlike the usual top entry litter boxes, this litter box is not totally enclosed. Therefore, it doesn’t do a great job at minimizing odors, but the high walls do help keep your house tidy by preventing litter from spilling out the sides. It is also super easy to clean due to its open design.
Because of the semi-open design, this is also a great option for kittens or elderly cats. They will have no problems from getting in the litter tray, but still get the additional privacy that is missing from regular litter trays. You can also know for sure large cats won’t feel claustrophobic using this tray.
- Bargain price
- Great for transitioning from regular litter trays to top entry designs
- Suitable for older cats and kittens
- Prevents mess from spilling
- Available in multiple colors
- Does not reduce smells
- Not a true top entry design
6. Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box (Minimize Litter Tracking)
The enclosed design does a good job at keeping smells and the litter inside where it belongs while keeping dogs and other pets out. The plastic also wipes clean easily and the rounded edges make getting into tricky corner parts no bother.
As with other designs, the lid is also textured to help catch dust from the litter and prevent litter tracking, saving you time cleaning up after your kitty. You do have to lift the lid whenever you want to clean up after your cat which is slightly inconvenient, especially as there are no holes in the top for extra litter to fall back in. This meant whenever I wanted to scoop the poop I had to sweep the excess litter off the top first which got slightly tedious.
I’d also like to see a scoop included with this product. When I first trialed this litter box, I didn’t realize a scoop wasn’t included and had to go back to the shop and get one later. However, the large size is great for my Maine Coon mix, and the litter box ticks most of my boxes.
- Successfully prevents spills and traps odors
- Non-slip lid with grooves to help minimize litter tracking
- Handles to easily move the litter tray if needed
- Spacious enough for large breeds
- Does not come with a litter scoop
- Need to sweep excess litter off the top before cleaning
7. Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan (Bargain)
I think the lid of this design is also great. It is non-slip, so your kitty won’t struggle to hop in or out of the box. It is also textured to help brush off any litter particles from your cat’s paws and prevents them from treading dust around the house. The grates also mean any extra litter falls back into the pan, meaning you have less mess to clean up.
The generous size of this top entry litter tray also makes it a fantastic option for bigger cats, providing them with plenty of space to enter, exit, and move around. The lid also supports up to 30lbs in weight so big cats can safely sit on top without the worry of them falling in their toilet.
- Great lid design for less mess
- Can support 30lbs so no fears of your cat falling in
- Traps smells inside so your house smells fresh
- Great value for money
- Does not come with a litter scoop
- Only comes in one color
8. Go Fresh Top Entry Litter Box (Effective Litter Tracking)
With a large top entrance and volume, this litter box is ideal for a range of cats regardless of their size. The box is also simple yet stylish with a minimalistic design and neutral colors that blend into any home.
One really useful feature of this top opening litter box is the raised edging around the lid. While it may take you a little longer to train your cat to enter the litter tray, the lip means your cat is more likely to exit from the front, forcing it to walk across the textured surface. This surface helps stop litter tracking and has small holes, so the litter falls back into the pan. Whereas this is a common feature in top entry litter trays, the raised edging improves the effectiveness of the design.
I think how the lid clips onto the box could be improved on. Instead of simply being able to lift the lid up or swivel it around to clean up after your cat, this top entry litter tray has to have its entire lid removed.
- Effective litter tracking
- Large in size
- Minimalistic and stylish
- Easy to fit together and separate for cleaning
- Need to detach the whole lid to scoop inside
- Expensive for what you get
Top Entry Litter Box Buying Guide
Although these eight extra-large litter box products are my personal favorites, you might decide to shop around yourself. If so, there are some important things you need to consider before making a purchase.
The first decision you need to make when buying a new cat litter tray is how much you can afford to spend.
Top opening litter boxes range in price. There is no point in reading reviews on litter boxes that cost hundreds of dollars if that is too much of an investment. Likewise, if you can afford a higher-quality litter tray, don’t waste your money on cheap low-quality products.
Next, you should think about the size of the top entry litter box.
For large cats, getting a litter tray that is appropriate for their size is so important. You want your cat to be as comfortable as possible when going to the bathroom, which means they need a large enough tray to move around in. When purchasing top entry litter box, you also need to consider the size of the entrance so that your cat an enter and exit easily.
Additionally, make sure you have space for a large litter box in your home. Top entry litter boxes specifically designed for larger breeds do take up a fair bit of space, so consider this before making a purchase.
I love my cats, but I hate cleaning out their litter trays. Therefore, always think about how easy the litter box you are thinking of purchasing will be to clean. Are there corners where dirty litter can get trapped? How easily does the top come off? Can I easily get inside the tray to wipe the sides down? Can I afford to get a self-cleaning litter tray?
It is also worth considering what design features have been added to help stop litter tracking. If there is a litter mat or specialized lid design, opt for this litter box over another. This also helps reduce the time spent cleaning up after your cat.
Ability to Eliminate Odors
Aside from mess and overflowing litter, top entry litter boxes are a popular choice as they help keep odors trapped inside. When purchasing a litter box, always see what others have said about how successful the product is in doing this.
Top Entry Litter Box vs Regular Box
You now know my personal tried-and-tested favorites and what to consider when buying a top entry litter box for your large cat.
But how do they actually compare to regular litter trays?
All top entry litter boxes have an enclosed design with a hole in the top for your cat to enter and exit. These come in different styles, colors, and sizes, but the basic principle is always the same. In comparison, regular litter trays have open sides and your feline can enter from any direction.
It Depends on Your Cat
How top entry litter boxes compare to regular litter boxes largely depends on your cat. Usually, most cats can easily be trained to transition from a regular litter box to a top opening litter box, so this should not be a problem. I have found that taking the lid off until your cat gets used to using the new tray can help the transition.
When it comes to kittens, as long as the box is small enough that they can easily jump to the entrance, they should have no issues using top entry litter boxes. Elderly cats might also struggle to jump up each time they need the bathroom, so if you have an older cat that has bad health, I will always suggest sticking to a regular litter box.
Put simply, whichever litter box your cat likes best is the one that is best for them. With cats being the sassy creatures they are, personal preference is everything.
Benefits of Top Entry Litter Box
That being said, there are some obvious benefits of using top entry litter boxes over regular ones.
Here are the main benefits:
- Helps Reduce Mess: Top entry litter boxes are designed to help contain the litter inside the box. If you have a cat that loves to dig, top opening litter trays are a huge help in reducing mess from litter spillages.
- Hides Litter Mess: It is not nice seeing a box of waste sitting on your kitchen or bathroom floor. Top-entry litter trays have high walls that hide this mess until you have time to clean it up.
- Minimizes Odors: The enclosed design helps to keep unsavory smells trapped inside and minimizes the odors released into your clean home.
- Dog-Proof Design: If you have a multi-pet household, top entry litter boxes stop your other animals from entering the litter tray and making a mess. My pug used to love digging up my cat’s litter, but he can’t now I’ve swapped to a top entry design.
- Gives Privacy: No one wants to be seen doing their business, so your cat deserves privacy and security too so they can go to the bathroom in peace.
- Stylish Design: I think top entry litter boxes look much neater in the home than open-topped boxes and take up less space.
- Minimizes Noise: Cats often scrape around in their litter trays which can make loud and annoying sounds. Top entry boxes reduce the noise by trapping it in and also hold more litter which stops your kitty from scraping the base of the litter tray.
- Reduces Litter Tracking: The lids of top opening boxes usually have grooves and holes to help reduce your cat from walking dust around your home.
Q: Is a top entry litter box better?
A: Top entry litter boxes have many benefits such as reduced mess and odor, providing your cat with privacy, and coming in stylish designs. Whether the top entry litter box is better than a regular litter box largely depends on what your cat prefers.
Q: Do top entry litter boxes smell?
A: No, top entry litter boxes are designed to reduce smells and prevent any odors from escaping around the room. As long as you clean it regularly, your top entry litter box won’t smell.
Q: Will cats use a top entry litter box?
A: Most cats will use a top entry litter box without any issues. However, if you have kittens make sure they are big enough to reach the entrance. Older cats will also struggle with getting in and out of the litter box, so top entry litter boxes are not advised for elderly or unwell cats.
Q: Do cats like large litter boxes?
A: Yes, cats like to have enough space to move around and do their business comfortably. If you have a large cat breed, buying a big litter box is essential. Even if you only have a small cat, if you have the space to accommodate a larger box, you should do to give your feline more space.
Q: Can a kitten use a top entry litter box?
A: Yes, most kittens can use top entry litter boxes. As long as your kittens are old enough and big enough to jump on top of the box, they should be able to use to litter tray without an issue.
Q: Do cats like top entry litter boxes?
A: Cats generally will use both open and closed litter boxes happily as long as they are left clean. Some cats may prefer one over the other, but it is not a black and white answer and rather is down to personal preference.
Q: Do top entry litter boxes work at reducing mess?
A: Yes, the enclosed design means litter is kept inside the tray. If your cat is a sprayer, top entry litter boxes also help the urine to stay inside the litter tray and keep things clean.
Q: Where should I keep my cat’s litter box?
A: I like to keep my cat’s litter box in the bathroom but know friends who prefer to keep it in their kitchen. It is whatever works best for you, just make sure the door to the room is kept open so that your kitty can have access to its toilet at all times. For top entry litter boxes, also make sure there is enough room above for the cat to jump up.
Q: Should I get a top entry litter box?
A: I think top entry litter boxes are by far superior to regular litter boxes, so yes, you should get one. If you are struggling with litter mess and odors, a top entry litter box is definitely recommended. Don’t get a top entry litter box if you have an old cat or kittens too small to reach the entrance.
MY FINAL THOUGHTS
Choosing the right litter box is important for you and your cat, so make sure that you take the time to choose the correct one. While these are my eight favorite top entry litter boxes for large cats, there are other options out there, but be sure to use my advice to find one that ticks all the boxes.
I personally love top opening litter boxes and using them has made my life a breeze by reducing cleaning time and unpleasant smells. What’s more, my cat seems to love them too!